Some of the blocks were in too poor condition so I set those aside. They would be used to repair the good blocks. I used a product called "Shape Flex" as the new foundation. It is a lightweight fusible interfacing that is often used in quilts that contain embroidery. I worked really well and added a bit of body to the quilt blocks.
My next step was to repair the seams and to replace any worn out parts of the blocks. I used a tiny blanket stitch and Bottom Line thread in a color that blended in with the fabric.I restitched each seam and replaced any damaged fabric, Since the thread was very fine, it was almost invisible.
Once all the blocks were repaired, I squared up the blocks so they were slightly smaller than the original ones. By doing this I was able to trim off any of the frayed edges and make each block the same size. I sewed the blocks back together. The restored quilt is slightly smaller than the original one. I choose a thirties fabric for a backing and cotton batting and then machine quilted the top. I finished off the quilt by adding a label which told of the quilt maker, and the quilts history.
Here is the daughter's reaction when it was presented to her. I'm so glad I completed the restoration! All the time and effort was well worth her reaction.