Image

Image

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Mennonite Girls Can Cook: Homemade Laundry Soap

About a year ago, my friend Stephanie mentioned she had found a recipe on the internet for homemade laundry soap.  We bought the supplies and we have been making our own laundry soap ever since.


The original recipe I tried came from the blog called "Old School Self Reliance 101." This recipe was good but I found one I like better. It came from the  "Mennonite Girls Can Cook" blog.  http://www.mennonitegirlscancook.ca/ 

If you have never tried making your own laundry soap, give it a try. It takes only about 10 minutes and is so easy! And for just a few dollars you will get 5 gallons of liquid laundry soap that can be used in both the regular washing machines and the new more energy effecient ones.

Homemade Laundry Soap







  • 1 sunlight bar grated into a medium saucepan
  • 4 cups hot tap water
  • 1 cup Washing Soda
  • 1/2 cup Borax
  • 1 five gallon pail
  1. Melt the Sunlight bar over medium heat . . stirring the whole time.
  2. Dump it into a 5 gallon pail and add the Washing Soda and the Borax. Stir well.
  3. Add hot water to the pail to come to a few inches to the top of the pail.
  4. Stir well. ( I use a broom handle)
  5. Let sit overnight and give it a good stir. It will jell a bit.
  6. Fill empty laundry soap containers.
  7. For my front load washer I use 1/4 cup.
  8. For top load washers you will use closer to 1/2 cup.
You will need to experiment with your loads. Dirty loads need more detergent than light loads. I use it on my dirtiest farm laundry and on my delicates with equal satisfaction.

One of their readers said they added a half a small bottle of Dawn dish detergent to the recipe to help with grease spots. I did the same. I used the New Zealand Springs scent and it made the detergent smell wonderful.






1 comment:

  1. Hi Juananne! Glad to see you're back! I have a hard time keeping up with my blog, sometimes, too, so don't worry!

    I follow Mennonite girls can cook blog, too, I just love it!

    Thanks for pointing out this laundry detergent recipe. I'm going to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete